So for, I dunno, a week or so, I've had an entry in the page list called "Text Adventure Experiment". I created it upon a whim, because I wanted to experiment with a text adventure and I figured Silverlight would be a good way to do it for the web, since it allows me to program in C#. I guess it's presence alone has tripped flags with a few people, because its in my top 5 pages on Google Analytics, but it hadn't actually been doing anything.
The reason this is the case is because TinyMCE, the editor that PivotX uses, was automatically filtering the type of object into being a Flash object, instead of Silverlight. I tried patching TinyMCE and it didn't help, so I tried digging around in the other PivotX code but there wasn't really any references anywhere else that I could figure out. So I decided to just set trying to embed it directly aside for now and just create an include file to dump the code into the page at a later stage, and so it runs now.
There's really nothing to it yet. The build on there so far is pretty much just a bare template, only managing the drawn text and keeping things moving. No scrolling, but I don't think I will have it scroll text in the first place, because old text adventures I've played didn't have scrolling. Since I only just got it working I haven't tested yet to see if it will work in Linux with the Moonlight plugin, although I'm not doing anything extraordinary so I doubt I'm using unimplemented functions. I'll update it as I work on it, and leave revolving notes on that page, but right now I don't even have Visual Web Dev Express installed yet since I upgraded my hard drive last week.
Date posted: 27 February, 2010 Tags: programming regularspelling video_games website_design
« Missed Block | Different, For Lack of the Same »